How to provide proof of divestment commitments
Our email for everything to do with our divestment campaign is firstname.lastname@example.org
In our demands, we listed several unethical and ecocidal industries/companies to divest from. If a college provides the following, we will consider it to be either partially or fully divested from a given ecocidal indsutry/company, or committed to becoming so:
1. An official public statement/announcement of the college’s decision/position/policy, which includes:
- What the college is divesting from (for example for fossil fuels, is this all fossil fuels or just e.g. tar sands?)
- Whether the college: never held direct/indirect investments at all, decided to divest previously but didn’t announce it publicly, or is making a new divestment commitment
- The date by which the college commits to finishing the divestment process
- Why the college is divesting
- Any other relevant information (e.g. engaging with a pension provider to ask that they also divest, or declaring a climate and ecological emergency)
2. A page/post on the college’s website with the same details as above in perpetuity. It must:
- Be easily accessible to the public, students, and staff
- Show up in the college’s website’s search results for the keywords ‘divest’ or ‘divestment’, and the category of investment being divesting from (e.g. ‘fossil fuels’)
- Not disappear at any point unless the website is under maintenance
3. A notification sent to our email address (see top of the page) providing links to the above
A college can announce divestment from each industry/company one-by-one, or announce a number of them together. Other forms of proof of divestment may be accepted on a case-by-case basis - we will consider any information sent by email.
Once a college has done the above, we will
- Update our categorisation of the college
- De-prioritise the college in our non-violent direct action (NVDA) campaign, instead focusing on other colleges that have not made as much progress. If a college has committed to full divestment, we will of course remove it from the NVDA campaign entirely!
- Publicise the college’s announcement to our social networks and through our press contacts
If there are good reasons for us not to make a specific announcement about the college’s progress, please email us so we can discuss this.